Wednesday 14 April 2010

How do I juggle family and business?


I am blessed with 4 stunning boys, 5, 4, 2 years and 10 weeks!  I have an amazing wife, a business that is successful in its field, I am involved in local politics as a Borough Councillor and unsurprisingly I have little time to think!  Thinking is a key skill and a core need of any business.  There are times we are too busy to think or strategise and we think everything is ok but inevitably something comes up and bites us in the bum because we have not seen it coming or planned for the eventuality.

Now of course we cannot plan for every eventuality, but we can take time to think through situations and strategy.  This is the part I struggle with.  Not because I lack creativity or skill, simply I lack the time to put into practice that which I preach.  Most of the creative thinking I have had in the last 10 weeks has come to me when I am feeding the little one somewhere around 3 am.  It is crazy how much I do think at that time, why?  Simply because I have time!  For 1 hour each and every night, somewhere between 2 and 3am my son wakes up wanting a bottle and I have time with myself…well with Louie as well, but he is very good and tries not to interrupt my thought process!! So am I really too busy being busy to realise what I should be doing, or just too pig headed to do something about it.  Truthfully I am not sure, when I find out I am sure I will blog about it!
I think the overwhelming message is that I need to find some time each day for myself, to think about whatever it is that needs to be thought about or just to allow thoughts the time to come to me…..you should try it, I know I am and you never know it may actually work!!!


Best

Simon

No comments: