Thursday 10 June 2010

Why you never wash a rental car?

So on Tuesday I was at my Academy of Chief Executives Group meeting and the speaker was a guy call Mark Fritz. The subject was, 'Why you never wash a rental car.' Immediately my alarm bells went up as I was expecting some kind of brash American telling me what I was doing wrong and what I needed to do to put it right.

Well, that couldn't have been further from the truth. The takeaway value of his session was huge and I think I ranked him the highest speaker I have heard at #ACE.

Why was it so good I hear you ask???......There were so many nuggets to takeaway and I don't mean chicken ones….actual golden ones!

In delegation…….."Deciding what you don't need to know"
Become Outcome focused rather than activity focused - is it important to make 50 cold calls a day or 5 calls and secure 5 appointments. The outcome outweighs the activity. It is all very well being too busy being busy rather than being busy and productive!

Our job as leaders is to create the conditions that enable success, whether it be the processes, the people or the behaviours.

We also spent some time talking about bringing an outcome approach to meetings and to do this what would need to happen. Well he showed us that before we even think about an agenda for that meeting we have to decide what the successful outcome of the meeting would be. This would take place well before setting any kind of agenda. In fact setting the agenda would be at step 6 meaning there are 5 more important things than the agenda in preparing for a meeting!

'Lightbulb' moments were plentiful in this invigorating and educational session and my thanks go out to Mark Fritz for his presentation, and to Brian Chernett for having the belief to book him.

If you want to hear what Mark has to say contact him at mark@markfritzonline.com

Thanks guys!

Best

Simon

No comments: